Ernest McDowell (b. Hayestown, Dundalk 1925 and d. 1995) studied art in England.
He held his first solo exhibition in the Dublin Painter’s gallery in 1950. He was a member of the Irish Watercolour Society and exhibited with the Royal Hibernian Academy and the Royal Ulster Academy. He was one of the founder members of the North Louth Painters and spent over twenty years exhibiting with that group. A retrospective exhibition of Ernest McDowell’s painting was held in the Basement Gallery, Dundalk in 1996.
McDowell’s work is held in the collection of The Arts Council / An Chomhairle Ealaíon.