Louis le Brocquy (b. Dublin, Ireland, 1916 and d. 2012) studied chemistry at Trinity College, Dublin and was a self-taught painter.
He represented Ireland at the Venice Biennale in 1956 and at the historic ‘Fifty Years of Modern Art’ exhibition at the 1958 Brussels World Fair. In 1966 a major retrospective exhibition was held at Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane. In 1996 a later retrospective was held at the Irish Museum of Modern Art (IMMA), Dublin. In 2006 to mark le Brocquy’s 90th birthday there were 10 solo exhibitions and numerous events organised in France, England and Ireland including Gimpel Fils, London; National Gallery of Ireland; Galerie Jeanne-Bucher, Paris; Hunt Museum, Limerick; Irish Museum of Modern Art (IMMA), Dublin; Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane; Crawford City Gallery, Cork; and Taylor Galleries, Dublin.
Le Brocquy is represented in the collections of The Arts Council / An Chomhairle Ealaíon; Crawford Municipal Gallery, Cork; Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane; Ulster Museum, Belfast; Irish Museum of Modern Art (IMMA), Dublin; Waterford Municipal Art Collection; and National Gallery of Ireland, among others.